Saturday, April 23, 2011

A Project A Day: Day 5 {Silver Lining Printable}

I love a good poster, especially if it contains type! Also, I am a sucker for inspirational and motivating quotes. So for your weekend I've created this lovely poster for your viewing and printing pleasure! I've seen this quote in poster form in many different variations but wanted to put my own twist on this classic phrase and with all the rain and cloudiness we've been having here in Logan, I think this is perfect for how I'm feeling! I just have to hold on and brave the rain (and flooding), it will be sunny soon! I just know it! Fingers are crossed!

Photobucket
DOWNLOAD HERE I printed it as an 18x24, so that's what the file is, but feel free to shrink it to a smaller size!



For your quote-history lesson of the day, read on...

I'm always curious as to wear phrases come from and how they started, so of course I put a little research into finding the origin of this particular quote. The way I think of it and the reason I love this quote is because although bad things happen there's always a light at the end of the tunnel (ah, a future quote poster maybe?) Like in a thunder storm, the thunder clouds are often dark and threatening but just beyond those clouds the sun is still there and shining and can often peak out and leave a silver gleam of sunlight along the edge of even the darkest cloud (the 'silver lining' to the cloud).

A little more of a history lesson for you (because I like learning this kind of stuff)...

The phrase has been with us for quite some time, originating from a writer named John Milton, who used it in a masque he wrote called Comus, in 1634:

"Was I deceiv'd, or did a sable cloud
Turn forth her silver lining on the night?"

It has been in use throughout history for a long time, other examples of it being used are from the novel Bleak House, by Charles Dickens in 1852, where he wrote:

"I turn my silver lining outward like Milton's cloud,"

The modern day use of this saying was traced back to 1869, used in a book titled Struggles and Triumphs, by Phineas Taylor Barnum:

"Every cloud has a silver lining"




Have a great weekend friends!

1 comment:

  1. i love this, def going to print this one out! thanks sis! love you!

    ReplyDelete

Hello!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails